The Road Safety Authority (RSA), is asking road users to exercise caution while using the roads as Met Éireann have issued Orange and Yellow weather warnings for strong winds.
An Orange weather warning is in place for Mayo and Galway from 5am until 1pm tomorrow (Friday 8 February) and in Donegal from 9am Friday to 6am on Saturday. Southwest to west winds will reach mean speeds of 65 to 80 km/h with some severe or damaging gusts of 110 to 130 km/h. The highest winds will be in exposed coastal areas, where these values may be exceeded at times. Very high seas as well with some coastal flooding.
A Yellow weather warning is also in place for Ireland with southwest to west winds will reach mean speeds of 50 to 65 km/h with gusts of 80 to 110 km/h. Along exposed Atlantic coasts these values may be exceeded for a while and with very high seas this will give the risk of coastal flooding from 6am Friday to 5am Saturday.
The RSA is asking road users to check local weather and traffic conditions and be aware of the conditions before setting out on a trip.
The RSA has the following advice for road users:
· Beware of objects being blown out onto the road. Expect the unexpected.
· Watch out for falling/fallen debris on the road and vehicles veering across the road
· Control of a vehicle may be affected by strong cross winds. High sided vehicles and motorcyclists are particularly vulnerable to strong winds
· Drivers should allow extra space allow between themselves and vulnerable road users such as cyclists and motorcyclists as they may be blown off course by strong winds.
· Drive with dipped headlights at all times
Advice to Pedestrians, Cyclists and motorcyclists;
· Be seen. Wear bright clothing with reflective armbands or a reflective belt.
· Take extra care when crossing the road or cycling in extremely windy conditions as a sudden gust of wind could blow you into the path of an oncoming vehicle.
· Walk on a footpath, not in the street. Walk on the right hand side of the road, facing traffic if there are no footpaths.
For more weather updates, visit Met Eireann’s website: www.met.ie
For further information, please contact: RSA Communications Office: 096 25008