Notice is hereby given pursuant to Section 11(1) of the Planning and Developments Acts 2000-2019 of the intention of Waterford City & County Council to commence its review of the existing Waterford City Development Plan 2013-2019 (as extended) Waterford County Development Plan 2011-2017 (as extended) and the Dungarvan Town Development Plan 2012-2018 (as extended) and to prepare a new Waterford City and County Development Plan for the period 2022-2028.
The new development plan will be the first unitary plan for the entire functional
area of Waterford City and County Council as heretofore provided for under the above stated development plans and local areas plans for the settlements of Lismore,
Portlaw and Tramore. The preparation of a new development plan shall be
strategic in nature for the purposes of developing objectives and policies to deliver an overall strategy for the proper planning and sustainable development of the area
of the development plan and the core strategy.
Strategic Environmental Assessment and Appropriate Assessment
The Planning Authority will carry out a Strategic Environmental Assessment (SEA) as part of the review process, pursuant to Article 13B of the Planning and Development (SEA) Regulations 2004 (S.I. No. 436 of 2004), as amended by the Planning and Development
(SEA)(Amendment) Regulations 2011 (S.I. No. 201 of 2011).
For this purpose, the Planning Authority will prepare an Environmental Report of the likely significant effects on the environment of implementing the new development
plan. The provisions of Article 13C to 13J of the SEA Regulations (as amended) shall apply while undertaking the SEA.
In addition, a Stage One Appropriate Assessment (AA) Screening (and Stage Two AA, if required) pursuant to Article 6 of the Habitats Directive 92/43/EEC and the
Planning & Development Act 2000 (as amended), and Strategic Flood Risk Assessment (SFRA) in compliance with ‘The Planning System and Flood Risk Management
Guidelines for Planning Authorities, 2009’ will also be carried out as part of the development plan preparation process.
Strategic Issues Paper
The preparation of the new Waterford City & County Development Plan will take two years to complete and will involve three stages of public consultation. As part of the first stage, the Planning Authority is engaging in pre-draft public consultation with the general public and a wide range of organisations and interest groups.
In order to stimulate debate and encourage participation at this first stage, a Strategic Issues Paper and a dedicated online consultation portal has been prepared providing a
synopsis of the plan making process and suggested issues affecting development in the city and county.
A copy of the Strategic Issues Paper is available at consult.waterfordcouncil.ie along with other material to assist in understanding the development plan and its process. Copies of the Strategic Issues Paper can also be obtained at the following locations, during normal
working hours, from Monday 20th July 2020 until Monday 14th September 2020 (both dates inclusive):
- Customer Care Desk, Baileys New Street, Waterford City
- Customer Care Desk, Civic Offices, Dungarvan; and,
- Waterford City & County Council Branch Libraries.
Public Consultation Events
While Waterford City & County Council wishes to ensure that the draft development plan will be informed by public engagement, as a result of Covid 19, new ways of communicating fully with the public and interest parties will be required at this pre-draft stage. To this end it is intended to hold a number of public webinars throughout the public consultation period, full details of which will be posted on the consultation portal
consult.waterfordcouncil.ie and in local press. Individuals, groups, organisations or representatives will be invited to discuss any element or issues stemming from the
existing Waterford City, Waterford County or Dungarvan Town Development Plans and to play a part in shaping the new Waterford City and County Development Plan 2022 –
In the interim members of the public are advised to engage with the consultation portal, the strategic issues paper and associated online content which are specifically
designed to facilitate the easy making of submissions.
Making a Submission
Submissions or observations regarding the preparation of the new Waterford City and County Development Plan 2022-2028 may be made to the Planning Authority from
Monday 20th July 2020 until Monday 14th September 2020 (both dates inclusive) and can be submitted by one of the following ways:
1. In writing to: Senior Planner, Planning Department, Waterford City and County Council, Menapia Building, The Mall, Waterford City;
2. In electronic format through consult.waterfordcouncil.ie
Please make your submission by one method only (i.e. in hard copy or via the website consultation portal). This will avoid the duplication of submission reference numbers
and will streamline the process. All submissions should be clearly marked ‘City and County Development Plan 2022 – 2028’.
In respect of making a submission or observation please note the following;
- Submissions should relate to the proper planning and sustainable development of the area.
- Children or groups or associations representing the interest of children are entitled to make submissions or observations regarding the objectives and policies to deliver an overall strategy for the proper planning and sustainable development of the area of
the development plan and core strategy.
- The planning authority intends to review the zoning of the area of the development plan; however, requests or proposals for the zoning of particular land for any purpose shall not be considered at this Pre-Draft Stage.
- If you consider that you have a disability, please give details of any special requirements for public consultation purposes that you may have in order
that appropriate arrangements can be made if necessary.
- All submissions must include your name and contact address, a map (where appropriate), and where relevant, details of any organisation, community
group or company, etc, which you represent.
- The closing date for receipt of submission to this pre-draft stage of the development plan is Monday 14th September 2020 at 4.00pm. Late submissions will not be accepted.
Note: Submissions received by the Planning Authority will be published on Waterford City & County Council’s website at consult.waterfordcouncil.ie within 10 working
days of receipt, along with your name in accordance with the Planning & Development (Amendment) Act 2018. Your contact details will not be published. Please do not include personal, confidential or other sensitive information in submissions.
Any queries you may have regarding data protection should be addressed to:
Director of Services
(Economic Development & Planning Services)
Designated Public Official under the Regulation of Lobbying Act 2015.