A nationwide Status Yellow Wind Warning has been issued as Storm Dudley approaches. The warning will be in place until midday tomorrow (Thursday, February 17th). Storm Dudley is the first of two storm systems over Ireland this week.
Waterford City and County Council’s Crisis Management Team met yesterday and will meet again this afternoon to assess the situation and to ensure that all necessary arrangements are put in place.
While significant rainfall is forecast over the next couple of days, significant flooding is not anticipated with the exception of spot flooding on local roads. In relation to coastal flooding, winds are mostly westerly, and while there is a spring tide at present, significant coastal issues are not expected. However, flood barriers for the City and Passage may be deployed on Thursday afternoon as a precautionary measure and this situation is being actively monitored.
A weather advisory has been issued by Met Éireann for Storm Eunice which will track eastwards over Ireland through Thursday night and Friday and Waterford City and County Council will continue to monitor the situation as further information emerges about this weather event.
Members of the public can contact Waterford City and County Council’s Customer Services Desks on 0818 10 20 20 during normal office hours after which calls will be transferred to the Council’s emergency services number or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Please note the following emergency contact numbers below:
With high winds and heavy rainfall predicted over the coming days the following Waterford City and County Council advises the public to:
· Stay away from all coastal areas for the duration of the Met Éireann warnings
- All road users should be aware of the hazardous travelling conditions, and only necessary journeys should be undertaken. Motorists should slow down and be aware of the dangers of fallen trees and debris. High sided vehicles are particularly vulnerable during this time.
- As conditions will vary throughout the event, people need to take account of the local conditions and advice from their Local Authority.
- The public are warned electricity wires are always live, never approach. If you see fallen or damaged wires, keep clear and phone ESB Networks immediately on 1800 372 999/021 238 2410
- Should red level warnings be issued, the public are advised to shelter in place for the duration of the warning.
Waterford City and County Council will continue to monitor the situation throughout the duration of Storms Dudley and Eunice.