Waterford Council were delighted to accept our 5 Blue Flag and 7 Green flag designations at a recent ceremony in Wexford where Kilfarrassey was the latest #Waterford beach to achieve Green Flag status.
Pictured above, Ian Diamond, An Taisce; Katia Hunter, Waterford City and County Council; Minister for Heritage and Electoral Reform, Malcolm Noonan TD; Shane Dineen of Fáilte Ireland celebrate the award of 5 Blue Flags and 7 Green Coast Awards to beaches in Waterford for the 2022 Bathing Season at the 2022 Blue Flag and Green Coast Awards Ceremony at Curracloe Beach, Co. Wexford on Friday 20th May 2022.
- See https://www.antaisce.org/News/2022-blue-flag-and-green-coast-awards-recognise-irelands-best-beaches-and-marinas for more
The Green Coast Award recognises beaches for their clean environment, excellent water quality and natural beauty. Green Coast Award sites are exceptional places to visit and enjoy our rich coastal heritage and diversity. The Green Coast Awards were presented back in 2003 to four beaches in County Wexford, it was rolled out nationally in 2008 and has gone from strength to strength ever since.
An important aspect of the Green Coast Awards is the involvement of Clean Coasts groups of which there are currently over 1800 comprised of tens of thousands of volunteers nationwide. These volunteers participate in community clean-ups and in cooperation with Local Authorities help sensitively manage their local beaches throughout the year.
- Ballynamona Beach in County Cork has been awarded a Green Coast Award for the first time this year.
- Cork is the county with the most Green Coast Award beaches once again in 2022 with 15.
- Mornington in Meath and Oysterhaven in Cork both last awarded in 2020 have been awarded for the 2022 season.
- Kilfarrassey in Waterford last awarded in 2018 and Balcarrick Beach, Donabate in Fingal, last awarded in 2016 have both been awarded for the upcoming season.
- 5 Beaches have been awarded a Blue Flag a Green Coast Award for the 2022 season, they are:
Balcarrick Beach, Donabate in Fingal; Baile an Sceilg (Ballinskelligs) in Kerry; Salthill and Silverstrand in Galway City and Trá Inis Oirr in Galway.
In the Republic of Ireland the Green Coast Award is operated by An Tasice’s Environmental Education unit with the support of the Department of Housing, Local Government and Heritage and Fáilte Ireland. An International Award the Green Coast Award is coordinated Northern Ireland and Wales by Keep Northern Ireland Beautiful and Keep Wales Tidy respectively.